Okay, here’s the latest problem and I’ve just sent my first enquiry to International Paints, so let’s see how this tracks out.
I sealed my Garage some time ago with International Concrete Sealer paint, and it worked a charm. It stopped the dust fallout that was happening on my car and covering it in concrete dust within a day. Superb.
Then I decided to paint the floor with a heavy duty (mind those words now) garage floor paint, for this I chose the Smokey Blue Quick Drying Floor Paint from the very same company. The Concrete Sealant actually recommends using the same make and this brand of paint on the floor. Just under £50 a tin.
That was two weekends ago, and the paint is coming off the floor and taking the sealant with it.
A little came off the other day and I thought it was just fluke. Then there’s another four or five patches where it’s coming off. I can’t believe it. The cost and effort we put into painting that place, and it’s not like normal painting mind you, this stuff is toxic so that means regular breaks. Plus the paint is very viscous indeed, not an easy job at all.
Now my concern is that the whole lot will have to be lifted and redone, if it’s just started in the last few days, what’s going to happen in a few months?
Before we go any further, let’s get a few things clear.
- I had owned my garage for over six months prior to painting.
- I am the first owner and last to move in the block, and all had garages prior to moving in.
- The garage floor does not suffer from damp.
- The garage floor was well cleaned prior to sealing.
- The sealant was on the floor for months prior to painting and did not lift.
- The car remains in the garage and does not move during the week.
- The wheels of the car are not turned inside the garage, since it is narrow it is straight in and out.
- No chemicals are used in the garage.
- No chemicals are used to wash the car.
- All preparation instructions on both paints were followed.
Now I think that’s about it. As of fifteen minutes ago I tried phoning the helpline number on their site, it gave an unusual ring and was not answered. So I used their online email form and posted a query to their “experts” on the site. I have asked for an answer within five working days and a request as to what should be done now.
We shall wait and see.